Ahhhh! The weekend! One of my favorite things to do on Saturdays is make cinnamon rolls that we can snack all evening, then have for Sunday morning breakfast. I make them from scratch, so the process isn't quick but it is so worth the time and energy! These cinnamon rolls are ridiculously phenomenal!
To begin combine 2 packets of yeast with a 1/2 teaspoon of sugar and a cup of warm water and let it sit for 5 minutes.
Let the water cool down, then stir in 2 cups of flour and mix it until it is smooth. Pour in yeast mixture then mix it until it is smooth again.
Gradually add the additional flour using a dough hook, then let the mixer keep going on medium low for a couple minutes.
Dump dough out onto a floured surface then knead by hand until dough is smooth and has an even consistency. Sprinkle a little flour in a bowl, put dough in and cover.
Let it rise for about an hour.
Dump dough out onto a floured surface and cut into two pieces. Pat the dough into a rectangle shape, then use a rolling pin to flatten.
Melt 1 stick of butter in the microwave, then stir in a tablespoon of powdered sugar and a tablespoon of cinnamon. Spread the mixture over the dough leaving a little bit in the bowl.
Sprinkle approximately 1/2 cup of brown sugar over the butter mixture, then shake out cinnamon over that. Roll up the dough with the deliciousness inside :)
Use a string to cut off approximately 2 inch pieces of the roll, then place into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Once you've cut up the entire thing, drizzle the remaining butter mixture over each piece.
Repeat the entire process with the other half of the dough. Set both 9 x 13 pans in a warm area to rise for another 30-45 minutes or until they are about doubled in size. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
While they are baking, make your frosting by combining 1/2 stick of melted butter, 2 cups of powdered sugar, 4 tablespoons of milk and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
Let cinnamon rolls cool, then frost them!!!
I included the recipe below, enjoy!
World's Best Cinnamon Rolls
- 2 yeast packets
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups hot water
- 7 cups flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- (2) 1 stick melted butter
- (2) approximately 1/2 cup brown sugar
- (2) cinnamon to sprinkle
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine yeast, sugar and warm water, let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Add shortening, sugar and salt to hot water in the bowl of a mixer.
- Beat for 30 seconds then let cool.
- Mix in 2 cups of flour, mix until smooth.
- Pour in yeast mixture, mix until smooth.
- Beat eggs, then add to mixture.
- Add additional flour in 1 cup at a time, then once it is all added mix with the dough hook for 2 minutes.
- Dump dough out onto a floured surface and knead by hand until dough is smooth and has an even consistency.
- Put into a floured bowl and cover.
- Let it rise for an hour.
- Once dough is about doubled in size, cut in half and pat into a rectangular shape.
- Use a rolling pin to flatten.
- Mix together butter, powdered sugar and cinnamon.
- Spread butter mixture over rectangle of dough, leaving a little bit in the bowl.
- Sprinkle brown sugar on top of the butter.
- Sprinkle cinnamon over the brown sugar.
- Roll dough up into a log then cut slices using a piece of string.
- Put rolls into a greased 9 x 13 pan.
- Repeat steps 12-18 with the other half of the dough.
- Once you are done, let the cinnamon rolls rise for an additional 30-45 minutes.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
- Make the frosting by whisking together butter, powdered sugar, milk and vanilla.
- Let cinnamon rolls cool, then frost liberally!