Tomorrow Doctor Who will be removed from Netflix. Sooooo, Gavin and I have been binge watching the show all weekend! In the Doctor's honor, we had Fish Fingers and Custard for dessert tonight. Fish fingers dipped in custard sounds disgusting, so we make cookies disguised to look like fish sticks but taste a little like shortbread cookies.
To begin, I prepare the custard. I just use instant vanilla pudding and prepare it according to the directions on the package. This means using a hand mixer to combine 4 cups of milk with the powder in the box. Then it goes into the fridge to chill until the cookies are ready!
I accidentally spaced on taking pictures during the beginning stages of making the cookies, but it isn't too tricky to follow along! Combine 1 1/3 cups of flour, 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a small bowl. Take 1 stick of room temperature butter and put it in a separate mixing bowl then cream with a stand or hand mixer. Add 1/2 cup powdered sugar and mix again, then add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and one egg and continue mixing. Stir in 1/2 of the flour mixture until combined, then mix the rest in. Cover and put the bowl into the fridge to chill for 20-30 minutes.
When it is almost time for the cookie dough to come out of the fridge, make the topping. Start with 5 graham crackers and smash them until they are crumbs. Add 1 tablespoon of sugar and 2 tablespoons of melted butter and mix until well combined.
Take chilled dough out of the fridge. Take 1 tablespoon at a time and form into a fish finger shape. Roll in the graham cracker mixture until well covered, then place on a foil covered cookie sheet.
Bake at 325 degrees for 20-25 minutes, then cool on a wire rack. Remove custard from the fridge and dish it up. Stick a cookie in each bowl of custard :)
ENJOY while watching an awesome episode of Doctor Who!
The recipe is included below. See you soon!
Fish Finger Cookies
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 graham crackers
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.
- Cream butter in a mixing bowl.
- Add powdered sugar and cream into the butter.
- Stir in egg and vanilla extract.
- Pour in 1/2 of flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Add the remaining flour mixture and keep mixing until smooth.
- Chill for 20-30 minutes.
- In a separate bowl place graham crackers.
- Crush until they are small crumbs.
- Add sugar and butter.
- Stir until well combined.
- Form chilled dough into fish finger shape, then roll in graham cracker mixture.
- Place on foil covered cookie sheet.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Serve with custard :)