In honor of the Super Bowl today, I am going to share my husband's AWESOME salsa recipe. One of the best things about this recipe is that it is totally customizable! To make it spicier, add more jalapeños. To make it less spicy, add more tomatoes. The tomato to jalapeño ratio that we used in this recipe makes a pretty spicy version. Paul ranks it a 6 or 7 out of 10, if 10 is so spicy it would make you cry :) AKA, too spicy for me!!!
Start off by washing your jalapeños. We use Fit Organic Fruit & Vegetable Wash to clean all of our produce. After the jalapeños are clean, put them in a large pot and bring them to a boil. Wash the tomatoes while the water is heating.
After the jalapeños have been boiling for 5-10 minutes, add the tomatoes to the pot of water. Cover and boil for 2 to 3 minutes maximum.
Cut off the top of each jalapeño, then slice it in half. Scrape out the majority of the seeds from the center of each pepper. The more seeds you use, the spicier it will be. Once they are all cut up, put them in a blender or food processor. Peel the skin off of each tomato, then cut out the core. Add them to the blender.
Run the blender on high until it reaches your preferred consistency. We pretty much puree them :) Add 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder and 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder. Salt and pepper to taste. Blend again until seasonings are well incorporated.
The salsa will be frothy after blending. Transfer into a container with a lid and put it in the fridge to chill for at least 30 minutes. Serve with tortilla chips.
I included the recipe below, ENJOY!
Home Made Salsa
- Approximately 3 pounds of tomatoes (this gave us 10)
- Approximately 1/2 pound of jalapeños (this gave us 8)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and Pepper
- Wash jalapeños, put in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Wash tomatoes, add to boiling pot of water.
- Strain vegetables.
- Cut off the top of each jalapeño, then cut in half and scrape most of the seeds out of the middle.
- Add jalapeños to blender or food processor.
- Peel skin off of tomatoes, then cut out the core.
- Add tomatoes to blender or food processor.
- Blend until you reach your desired consistency.
- Add garlic and onion powders, then salt and pepper to taste.
- Blend until seasonings are mixed in.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve with tortilla chips and ENJOY!