The cold weather came back strong this week! As always, I like to view it as an opportunity to make some yummy soup. I didn't really feel like getting out into the cold weather, so I decided to work with what I had in the house. Annnnnd.... what I had in the house was chicken and potatoes. I even found some carrots and an onion to throw in. It turned out AWESOME! This is a great creamy deliciousness that helps the body fight off all of the cold weather outside :)
Begin by chopping up a medium onion and 4 carrots, then saute them in 3 tablespoons of butter. Coat with 1/3 cup flour.
Put 3-4 chicken breasts into a crock pot, then add about 32 ounces of chicken broth. Chop up 4-5 medium red potatoes. Add potatoes and sauteed veggies to the crock pot. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and thyme leaves.
Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Remove chicken to chop it, then add it back into the mixture. Add 1 cup of Half & Half. Stir until well mixed, then recover and cook for an additional 30 minutes on low.
We ate ours out of delicious soup bowls garnished with cheese. Yummmm! You should definitely try this on a cold day soon :)
The recipe is below, ENJOY!
Creamy Chicken & Potato Soup
- 3-4 chicken breasts
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4-5 medium red potatoes, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 cup half & half
- Saute chopped onion and carrots in butter over medium high heat.
- Once they are softened, add 1/3 cup flour to coat veggies.
- Put chicken breasts and chicken broth into crock pot.
- Add chopped potatoes and onion/carrot mixture to the crock pot.
- Stir in seasonings.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove chicken and chop, then put back into the crock pot.
- Add half & half.
- Cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve hot, garnished with shredded cheese!