Monday, January 11, 2016

Star Wars Birthday Party

We are slightly obsessed with Star Wars! Okay, okay... TOTALLY obsessed! Our family has seen all of the movies more times than we can count. We love the new movie and I'm also secretly dating Han Solo. Don't tell Paul! Today at the store, Gavin brought along some money he got for Christmas and got an awesome new Bladebuilders Jedi Master Lightsaber set!


Since we have Star Wars on the brain, I decided to share the awesome Star Wars sleepover Gavin had for his 9th birthday.


I put Gavin in charge of decorations. He inherited a dream collection of action figures from his uncle and it even includes several of the large ships. Using all of the toys that he has in his room, he converted our home into the Star Wars Galaxy.

We were a little worried about his light sabers being damaged by crazy fighting, so we put them in a box with all of his star wars masks and set up a photo booth. We only let the light sabers be used for the pictures.


By hanging a black sheet against the wall we were able to set up an area for the kids to pose using the props. I took both individual and group photos that turned out amazing. I'm still trying to figure out a good way to super impose the Star Wars logo over it!

After pictures, I let the kids play up in Gavin's room for awhile. During his 8th birthday party, I felt like I over scheduled activities and didn't leave enough time for the kids to just enjoy being together, so this time I wanted to give them plenty of time to play freely. After about 30 minutes, Paul brought home pizza and breadsticks for dinner. While they were eating, I explained that they were enrolled in Jedi Academy. They had two tasks to complete before having a final test.

First, they had to extricate Han Solo from carbonite. I placed 6 Han Solo action figures into plastic bowls from Ikea, then froze them. The tools they were provided with included a toothpick, a plastic spoon and a medicine dropper. I also put out a couple bowls of hot water for them to use with the medicine droppers. Unfortunately, we were all having so much fun that I don't have ANY pictures :( Getting Han out took awhile! The most successful Jedis realized that hot water was the most effective tool. Once a couple kids had finished, I had them start on the next task while the other Jedis were still working to free Han.

The next task put their light saber skills to the test. I provided each boy with a long glow stick that they had to use to keep a balloon from hitting the floor. There was a small learning curve, but all of them managed to do very well at this! Again, I got no pictures because I was still helping get Han out of trouble. He is my boyfriend after all!

Once these two tasks were completed it was time for their final test. I used pool noodles to make them all personalized light sabers. I didn't have any duct tape in the house, so I outlined a handle with electrical tape, then wrote their names directly on the pool noodle. I do not recommend it! The permanent marker that I used rubbed off on the kids' hands, then got onto things that they touched. Yuck! If I were going to do it again, I would use duct tape and write on that with the permanent marker. That being said, they looked great!



Each kid was presented with their light saber, then I led them upstairs where their mission was to defeat a group of Storm Troopers. The Storm Troopers were white balloons that Gavin and I drew faces on. Then we hung them from the ceiling using ribbon.



The battle was INTENSE! It was so much fun to watch, I can't even imagine how much they must have enjoyed it! Within 3 minutes all the storm troopers were off their ribbons and popped on the ground. The Jedis succeeded and the galaxy was saved.



Then it was time for cake! I am definitely not a talented cake decorator, so I just baked a basic chocolate cake. I made homemade buttercream icing topped with red sprinkles. I separated some of the frosting and added food coloring to write the words, then popped a couple small action figures on top. It was supposed to represent the battle between Anakin and Obi Wan during the end of Episode III.

We also served Yoda Soda with the cake. It was a delicious mixture of Sprite and Lime Sherbet!
All in all, it was a very successful birthday party. All of the kids had a great time and it was an awesome way to prep ourselves for the excitement of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. 

See you soon,
              

4 comments:

  1. FUN! Oh I'm looking forward to themed birthday parties with my little man :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly splendid arrangements! Never thought things can be done so perfectly. My sister has booked one of San Francisco venues for his son’s birthday and was confused for the theme. Now planning to use this one!

    ReplyDelete