My family and I love all sorts of Mexican food! Tacos, burritos, fajitas, enchiladas... You name it, we love it. For most of my cooking life, this meant picking up a packet of Taco Seasoning along with the rest of my ingredients.
Recently, I have had a couple instances where I have every other ingredient I need except Taco Seasoning. Paul mentioned that it is really easy to make yourself and he gave me a list of ingredients to use that we had in our cabinet. In the interest of using good ratios of those seasonings, I took to Pinterest. There are a lot of variations, but they all center around the same ingredients, just varying amounts. So, I combined Paul's impromptu "recipe" with a few different ideas I found online to make my own.
Now, I make a big batch in a Mason Jar. Three tablespoons of my homemade Taco Seasoning is equivalent to a store packet. I have used my mixture with a wide audience and it has gotten rave reviews.
Not only is it delicious, it is healthier and you know every ingredient that went into making it! Give it a try and let me know what you think :) The recipe is below!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
1. Add all ingredients to a mason jar or other air tight container.
2. Close the container and shake well.
3. 3 tablespoons of taco seasoning mixture is equivalent to 1 packet of taco seasoning.