Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Make Your Own Sparkle Sensory Bottle



Making a Sensory Bottle for Olivia is a project I've been meaning to do for awhile but kept procrastinating. I would randomly save bottles that seemed like they would be cool to use, and I picked up a travel sized shaving cream to use. For months, those bottles and shaving cream sat on top of my refrigerator. 

Finally the other day, I decided that I just needed to make it happen. So, I set up my video equipment and took some pictures of the process. I am VERY happy with the results, but I also have some ideas for how to make future bottles.

I started off with three bottles of different shapes and sizes. One a Gatorade bottle, one a sparkling water bottle, and last a Smart Water bottle.


The first thing I had to do was to remove all of the labels. Getting them off initially was very easy, but there was a sticky film left behind on all of them! Goo Gone is my favorite thing to use for stubborn stickiness, and sure enough it worked like a charm!


I decided to start with the Smart Water bottle. I filled it about 3/4 full of water then added shaving cream. Be careful to add the shaving cream slowly, I had a little bit of an overflow :)


Next, I added blue food coloring.


I used a funnel to add blue glitter to the bottle, in the interest of containing the mess! Then I filled the rest of the bottle with water and super glued the lid on.


I gave the bottle to Olivia and she LOVED it!


I decided to make the Gatorade bottle pink with pink glitter. I used the exact same recipe for it, aside from changing the color.


I gave the bottle to my product tester and she was a big fan. I think she really likes the bumps on the sides of the bottle.


For the last bottle, I decided to switch it up a little bit. In addition to the water and shaving cream, I also added some vegetable oil to the bottle. I went with yellow food coloring and gold glitter because Olivia seems really drawn to things that are yellow. I really love the way it turned out, I think it's my favorite of the three.


Olivia seemed to really like this one too!


Overall I'm really pleased with how these turned out. Here is the video I made that highlights the three bottles.


Next time I make a sensory bottle, I will definitely experiment with adding a few different ingredients. I really loved the layered look I got when I added the vegetable oil. The other thing that I would do is to find smaller bottles to use. Liv really loves all three of the bottles, but they are heavy and difficult for her to lift. 

I definitely recommend making these! They are super easy, customizable and great for kids of all ages, even 33 year old kids like me :)
              



No comments:

Post a Comment